We get so many requests for free seo reviews from companies who have websites that have been built without considering search engine optimisation that it's time for a check list. Making sure your investment is search engine friendly isn't an option, it's a necessity! When evaluating a system or when talking to a potential supplier consider these points. This stuff is VERY VERY basic, but ignored by so many sites.
- Can I control the page TITLE ELEMENT on all pages?
Title elements are a key aspect of SEO
- Can I control the page META DESCRIPTION ELEMENT on every page?
Again, these are powerful tools in the SEO armoury
- Can I control META KEYWORDS ELEMENTS on all pages
Although not important any more they shouldn't be ignored
- Can I create well tagged and formatted pages using HTML H ELEMENTS?
The way pages are constructed and tagged helps search engines understand them
- Can I control the URL's of my pages?
Page URL's should be simple, human readable and contain keywords
- Will the system create an XML sitemap I can feed into Google etc?
Decent systems create these automatically and they help the engines find your pages
- Can I add site wide code such as Clicky Analytics with the minimum of fuss?
The last thing you want to do is edit 2000 pages by hand!
If your site ticks all these boxes you are going to make life a lot simpler for your self as you get to work on the labour intensive task of creating a successful website. This stuff is so simple is comes as standard with many low cost web solutions yet it's ignored by the many of the expensive ones.