If you think a website is like a brochure where you can just set it and forget it you would be better off to just forget it and save yourself the effort of the 'set it' part.
Websites are living documents that grow and evolve and this means you need to accept owning and running a website is an ongoing activity. Here's a simple list to help you.
- Carry out keyword research so you understand what your customers are searching for.
- Create content that uses these keywords and make sure you build the pages in a search engine friendly way.
- Look for links to your new content to give it credibility and promote your content through social media channels.
- Write articles that add value to your website and syndicate them through article publication sites such as Ezinearticles.
- Look for sites that talk about your line of business, forums, blogs etc, and if possible contribute IN A MEANINGFUL WAY to establish yourself as a credible expert.
- Keep doing all of the above EVERY WEEK!
Simples.... (sorry Alexander).